Friday, July 22, 2011

The View (or The Road Less Travelled)




I applied for a job last week. I haven’t properly applied for a job in years, all the jobs I have had recently have been through contacts or recruitment consultants. So I dusted off my writing skills to completely rewrite my CV and fired up my creative skills to write a two page supporting document stating why I fulfilled the criteria.

I didn’t get the job. I didn’t even get interviewed. Bugger.

But this is not a post saying ‘Woe is me’ this is a post about possibilities. You see the job I went for isn’t something I thought I would want to do until it came up and my burning gut reaction was ‘YES’. OK so I didn’t get this one but it has made me realise that there are other jobs out there. Other possibilities

Instead of plodding gently down the straight road I thought I was on, I feel like I have topped a hill I didn’t know I was climbing and as I look over I see the road dividing. Different directions, sparkling possibilities stretching into the future. And the view looks great. Scary but great. I have decided to just sit here for awhile before I move on. It isn’t often in life that you can take your time before committing, mostly we are running full pelt and it is only afterwards that you look back and see where you took the road you are on.

I have no idea where this will all end up. Whether I will follow the well trampled road, straight and safe or whether I will investigate the turning twisty slightly overgrown lane. But until I have to decide I’m going to enjoy the view.

Come back on Sunday to hear from Susanna

5 comments:

  1. I'm at that place too, right now: I haven't worked, properly, for ages and have recently applied to something. I'm not holding my breath, but it did allow me to realize that the decision maybe wasn't as bad as I was fearing. I like that analogy of running full-pelt; it does feel that way sometimes. Best of luck once you decide which way to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is scary but it is never the end. I think the scarier it is the more it shows you can face anything. Good luck with your application. Fingers crossed.

    Bx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Brigid, what an inspiring post! That epiphany moment can be so liberating, I truly hope you can break-into the new world you want to inhabit, good luck! L xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa - thanks. Has been a difficult week. Don't quite know where I want to be but I have realised I have more options than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck, hope you find something that you really love doing! I think you're so right to try something new, rather than plod along in the same rut. There are so many exciting possibilities!

    ReplyDelete