Monday, June 27, 2011

New Persona

I'm a bit lost...in more ways than one. The alarm went off at 5:15 this morning and I didn't know where I was or what I was supposed to be doing. This of course is not surprising with my travel schedule but it has been happening in other ways. In 2011 I have apparently changed. Yes I am still wife and mother but I am now author. This last bit is the change. Of course I have been writing for years but my debut comes out next May and that has waved some sort of magic wand over me.

You see people are behaving differently towards me...on the flight on Friday I was asked for my autograph even though isn't yet a physical book to sign. Staying with close friends over the weekend I was questioned and treated as almost a celebrity by another friend of theirs.

This is a very peculiar feeling. One minute feted and the next emptying out my eldest's school truck with the accumulated five years worth of rugby mud and teenage junk. I have moved from writer to author and most people now are treating differently (except the family of course - the magic wand hasn't vanished the laundry or the ironing).

It's must be like this one someone has changed the hair colour radically...like being a brunette and the suddenly being blonde and people assume you don't have a brain...or the other way around. It's an interesting experiment...maybe one of my characters will alter radically in my next book book so that everyone treats them differently although nothing has really changed. Has this ever happened to you or to one of your characters?

Now I must figure out where I'm supposed to be and what I'm supposed to be doing.

Come back on Thursday to see what Biddy is up to...

1 comment:

  1. I can't say I've been treated like a celebrity, but I think it's true that people take you more seriously once you get published. I'm not sure why that is because like you say, you write for years before getting to that point and the work is the same. However, it's kind of nice to have this new persona that ISN'T wife and mother (great though those roles are as well) - it's like you get to just be yourself again occasionally!

    ReplyDelete